Position: I.T. Network Engineer/Systems Analyst
BARGAINING UNIT: CONFIDENTIAL JOB GRADE:
I. General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
- – Including but not limited to; Network Administration, maintenance of personal computers, end user hardware and software installation, computer programming, database design, hardware and software installation, server design/maintenance/configuration and network design/maintenance.
II. Essential Functions:
- To perform repairs to hardware, software and peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Develop computer programs based on user needs/specifications, provide technical support by troubleshooting users’ system-related problems.
- To confer with users, and determine nature of problems and provide technical assistance to users.
- Manage system back-up and restore operations/data.
- Design and support of network and computing infrastructure.
- To create and maintain access rights to the network after conferring with superiors.
- To test and monitor software, hardware and peripheral equipment to evaluate use, effectiveness and adequacy of product for user.
- To refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or technician specialists for service.
- To maintain a record of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and installation activities.
- To keep up-to-date technically with the computer industry changes and advances in hardware, software and peripheral equipment.
- To perform related work as required.
III. Minimum Qualifications:
A. Education and Experience:
- College graduate or equivalent with at least 3 years’ experience with Network Administration, applications/ help desk support; Associate’s Degree in computer science preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience
B. Special Requirements: Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Demonstrated experience integrating networking solutions with MS Exchange Server (2010 preferable), Active Directory, Win2K/XP/7 based networks. Experience with Cisco, CA, Symantec SEP,Citrix, and Arcserve technologies is also preferred.
- Experience with configuration, design and implementation of large networks using HP Procurve switches or equivalent, with command line protocols ssh/telnet etc.
- Experienced with skills in Internet protocols and services such as DNS, DHCP, WINS, TCP/IP, VPN, IPX/SPX and SMTP.
- Experience with SQL server database design.
- Experience with windows PowerShell scripting/design.
- Intermediate programming knowledge/development using C, C++, C#, .Net etc.
- Intermediate web programming knowledge/development standards, I.E HTML, PHP, ASP.NET etc.
- Knowledge of electric circuit boards, processors, chips, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas verbally.
- Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to recognize a problem or potential problem.
- Ability to speak clearly and understandably.
- Ability to teach and instruct others.
- Skill in identifying the nature of a problem.
- Skill in inspecting and evaluating the quality of products.
- Skill in using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.
- Skill in determining what is causing an operating error and deciding what to do about it.
- Skill in conducting tests to determine whether equipment, software or procedures are operating as expected.
C. Physical Qualifications:
- May require ability to climb ladder for installation of cables in ceilings; May require lifting of up equipment weighing up to 45 pounds.
IV. Job Environment:
- Mainly typical office setting in a correctional institution.
V. Supervision Received:
- Under the direct supervision of I.T Director.
 This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
 The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.