SHERIFF’S OFFICE OF WORCESTER COUNTY
POSITION: SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR II
BARGAINING UNIT: Professional Employees
I. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To provide inmates/probationers/parolees with education and information about substance abuse and dependence.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:2
(a) To provide drug and alcohol education for inmates/probationers/parolees
(b) To provide education in the areas of stress management, anger management and coping skills
(c) To teach Relapse Prevention I and Relapse Prevention II programs
(d) To educate inmates/probationers/parolees about high risk behaviors with the goal of reducing the spread of AIDS, Hepatitis A, B and C, and other sexually transmitted diseases
(e) To develop an individualized aftercare plan which identifies problems requiring continuing treatment and service to help the inmate remain drug-free
(f) To prepare accurately and maintain as current all required reports and records
(j) To observe inmates/probationers/parolees general condition and refer inmates/probationers/parolees to the appropriate supportive services i.e. medical, mental health, social services
(g) To foster an atmosphere of cooperation between inmates/probationers/parolees and staff
(h) To observe conduct and behavior of inmates/probationers/parolees and to report any unusual occurrences to supervisor
(i) To work harmoniously, cooperatively and courteously with others at all times
(j) To ensure that inmates/probationers/parolees sign-in on the required attendance sheet
(k) To conduct classes in a professional manner and use only approved materials
(l) To perform other duties as assigned
(m) To report for work on time and appropriately attired
(n) To maintain regular attendance
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
A. Education and Experience:
Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience.
OCC positions require the following: Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, education, counseling, psychology, rehabilitative counseling, social work from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years supervised counseling, or equivalent combination of education and experience. CADAC preferred.
B. Special Requirements:
C. Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, in writing and orally
• Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records
• Ability to talk to others to effectively convey information
• Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through verbal and written communication
• Ability to work long hours during any part of a 24-hour day
• Working skill in the use of personal computers, particularly word processing
• Working knowledge of support agencies such as Alcoholics Anonymous, etc
• Working knowledge in the effects of drugs and alcohol
D. Physical Qualifications:
• Minimal physical effort demanded when performing functions under typical clinical setting.
• Frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
IV. JOB ENVIRONMENT:
Clinical setting in prison environment.
V. SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
General supervision by Director of Substance Abuse Treatment.
VI. SUPERVISION EXERCISED:
1 This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
2 The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.